Categories
Intro to Computational Practice Year 0

Week 7 – Virtual Lives – Simulations and Simulacra

1. Write one text paragraph reflecting on the theme of this lecture in relation to your chosen project. Here are some reflection points:

how do notions of the ‘virtual’ may stretch and open new possibilities in your projects?

I believe the concept of the virtual only truly affects my own dataset project. The virtual gives me presentation options for my paintings – Virtual galleries can take many forms including 2D and 3D spaces. I simply chose for my virtual to be the old virtual, the original usage of the word referring to clunky older websites.
Real data feeds our virtual life from the algorithms that surround us that track everything we do, and advertise to us based on our digital selves, our paper trail.

Monologue

To present my project, I would talk about the importance of the TDoR database offline and how important it is that digital archving, in its multitudes and copyability is an integral tool in preserving the memory of real people in an opressed group offline that may have had no one to protect them. We are always told that when something is put online, it’s there forever, and it becomes advantageous in this case as we become more and more opressed as a minority.